Saturday, November 07, 2009

The Ever-Present Silver Lining

It's been 5 weeks now, I think, since our trip to Saint George. Dillon and I went down to see his uncles, aunts, and cousins. There were a group of them that were going to ride their motorcycles to the north rim of the Grand Canyon on Saturday morning. Dillon and I followed in one of the two cars that went with the "Band of Brothers." JD made everyone shirts. They were really cool.

We arrived Friday night and went straight to bed. Early Saturday morning, we met at Uncle Alan's house. The boys cooked us breakfast. It was fit for a king. We had bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, french toast - mmmmm, getting hongray just thinking about it.

Alan played some morning tunes for us. I just love Alan's gift and love for music. I guess he plays by ear. He thinks it's lame, but I could listen to him play around on the piano and sing all day.

After breakfast, we gathered somethings and headed off toward the Grand Canyon. There were eight bikes and two cars total.

It was such a beautiful day and just perfect for a bike ride. The boys looked like a regular biker gang - okay, not really, but they looked good.

I was trying to get some good footage of the boys on their bikes. Between my shaking hand, dirty window, and stupid commentary, it's not the greatest, but you get the idea.

We were about 45 minutes from the Grand Canyon when tragedy struck. While trying to pass a caravan of RV's in a soon-to-be-ending passing lane, Alan lost control and wrecked his motorcycle.

Neither Dillon or I have ever seen anything so awful. The site is something that I don't think either of us will ever forget. I thought he was dead, and he probably would be without heavenly intervention.

The mishap was traumatic and anguishing for all involved, but on so many occasions throughout, I saw wonderful things as a direct result of Alan's tragedy.

After we saw the accident, I pulled the car over, left Dillon in it, and crossed the street to get to Alan as quickly as possible. The entire caravan of RV's and the vehicle that narrowly missed Alan head-on had stopped and were there as well. There were probably almost a dozen people outside of our group that had seen it and stopped. Ani asked if any of them were LDS and none were. She then asked me if I could get Dillon over there to give Alan a priesthood blessing. While no one present shared our faith, they all participated in the blessing and not one of them didn't make a comment like, "someone's watching out for him," "he's got guardian angels," "it's a miracle that he's still with us." The Spirit was with us, and I think we all felt it. After Dillon's blessing, I knew Alan would be alright. I think that it brought a peace to all that heard it too.

The ambulance took Alan to Kanab hospital. It was a small hospital so most of us spent the majority of the time outside. There was much tension in the air. Dillon's uncle Eric was talking about internal bleeding and how he hoped there wasn't any. Mike's friend, Don, asked us if we knew about the "Law of Attraction." He told us that basically it was an idea that what we think and say is heard by the "Universe" so if all we say and talk about is internal bleeding, that's what we are bringing to us. Rather if we think about positive things, that will bring good things our way. He then said something that suggested he wasn't an avid believer of this philosophy, but it couldn't hurt. There was talk about how you should to try everything you've heard in times like this because you just don't know what works and what doesn't. Everyone agreed then Nolan said, "If only there was a book or something with all this stuff written in it."

That statement took me aback. I looked at him and said, "Nolan, to some, there is." I have that. I have a book - several - that tell me what I hold as the "Universe's secrets." The scriptures, to me, hold truths that sustain beyond the understandings of man. The yearning in his voice made me realize how fortunate I am to have that.

Alan was later helicoptered to a hospital in St George. By the next day, all 7 of his children were by his side. His son, David, and son-in-law, Brad, gave him a healing blessing with consecrated oil. It was the most amazing blessing I've ever heard and one of the most amazing spiritual experiences I've ever had. I felt as though I was hearing the voice of God. I knew his words were true just as quickly as he said them. He said amazing things about the spiritual beings that were with Alan and helped keep him alive. These were people that Alan has helped by doing temple work for them. He did have "guardian angels" - many of them. He said that Alan's mission on Earth was not over and he has more to do. He also said that his mother was very pleased with him.

I have never met Dillon's grandmother, but I love her very much. She died before I met Dillon. I have heard so many stories about her from Dillon's family though. She is a wonderful lady and is very missed here. She is never far from her kids' and grand-kids' minds. I could feel her love and honor while he spoke of her.

Uncle Alan was released from the hospital just two weeks after being admitted. He is still recovering but is slated to make a full recovery. His journey has and will be very painful, but much was to be gained from the experience. I had a personal revelation that it's not just God's Spirit with us, it's also the spirits of those that have gone before us. They are with us, and we have an obligation to help them as they help us. I have a renewed sense of that and an urgency to research my ancestors and make sure their ordinances have all been done.

Last week in Sunday School, the lesson I was assigned to teach was about this. It talked about the promises God made to our ancestors that our hearts would be turned toward them and we would do their temple work for them. I was able to share my new found knowledge with the class and several class members shared their experiences with me and told me they knew what I said was true as well.

I pride myself in being able to find the good of any situation, but in this case, it found me.

No comments: